Tuesday, November 24, 2009

She belongs with me

I can be sappy sometimes. Often it has to do with love songs on the radio that get me thinking about my wife, Anne. Anyway I was listening to the radio in the truck and this song comes on about High School. High School is not my favorite time to dwell on so I started to change the station but as I do I hear the young woman singing about this boy who should be interested in her not some cheerleader and I smile and remember...

I remember a boy,recently dropped by his first girlfriend (a cheerleader), now at a pool party, coming up for air next to this cute girl with dancing brown eyes that almost disappeared when she smiled, and what a smile. She wanted to know if I wanted to come along on a bike ride she planned to take the next day. “sure, that would be fun” I replied.

The next day we rode out in the country to a farm with an old cabin, walked in the fields, spent most of the day together and sat on the porch and talked and talked. What a girl. Four years later I took her back to that old cabin on that farm and asked her to be my wife. We have been married for over 28 years now and I still melt at those smiling eyes.

After we had been married several years we were together with some friends form High School. A friend of Anne's told a story about a slumber party where Anne announced that the boy her cheerleader friend was dating wasn't right for the cheerleader at all he was right for her. The friend summed up, “I guess she was right”

She was. She “belongs with me”.

“House and wealth are an inheritance from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the LORD” Proverbs 19:14

No comments: